Buckingham Palace Makes Rare Statement on Prince Andrew After King Charles Is Pulled into Chinese Spy Saga

Buckingham Palace Makes Rare Statement on Prince Andrew After King Charles Is Pulled into Chinese Spy Saga

The palace confirmed that the Duke of York met with his older brother over the past year but said alleged spy Yang Tengbo was not the focus of the conversations

Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III, Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Anne, Princess Royal during the State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey on September 19, 2022 in London, England
Prince Andrew and King Charles at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth on Sept. 19, 2022. Photo: Patrick van Katwijk/Getty

Buckingham Palace released a rare statement surrounding Prince Andrew.

Following a written testimony by Dominic Hampshire, a former senior aide to the Duke of York, the palace issued a clarification on private meetings between Hampshire, Andrew and his older brother, King Charles.

Hampshire’s testimony, given to an employment tribunal, alleged that the brothers discussed the Eurasia Fund, a project of Prince Andrew’s that aimed at linking Chinese funding with renewable energy projects in Africa.

Prince Andrew and the Eurasia Fund have recently come under scrutiny for ties to an alleged Chinese spy. Yang Tengbo — previously known only by his codename, “H6” — was said to be a close confidant of Andrew’s before being barred from entering the U.K. in December 2024 over concerns of national security.

Of Prince Andrew’s recent meetings with the King, the palace said, “While His Majesty met with the Duke and his adviser to hear outline proposals for independent funding over the past year, the individual known as H6 was not mentioned at any time or in any way as part of these discussions.”

Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attend the Order of the Garter Service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle on June 15, 2015 in Windsor, England. The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry and was founded by Edward III in 1348.
Prince Andrew and King Charles attend the Order of the Garter Service on June 15, 2015.Peter Nicholls – WPA Pool /Getty

The Duke skipped King Charles’ traditional Christmas luncheon as well as the royal family’s Christmas gathering at Sandringham last year following the news of the scandal.

Royal biographer Ingrid Seward told PEOPLE at the time that Prince Andrew would have talked through the matter with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, as well as his daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, who have all been protective and loyal to him throughout years of public scrutiny.

“Despite [the Duchess’] missteps in the past, she does know how things will play out socially. She would tell him it’s best to stay away. And Beatrice would have backed her up in that,” Seward said.

Projects like the Eurasia Fund have become part of Prince Andrew’s professional life since he stepped back from public duties as a working royal following his highly criticized 2019 Newsnight interview about his alleged ties to Jeffrey Epstein. Prince Andrew has denied any wrongdoing.

His mother, the late Queen Elizabeth, stripped him of military titles and patronages amid Virginia Guiffre’s civil sexual assault lawsuit — which was settled out of court — but it was King Charles who ultimately cut his brother off financially.

Royal author Robert Hardman wrote in his book Charles III: New King. New Court. The Inside Story that Prince Andrew did not accept a 2024 proposal from his elder brother to relocate from the Royal Lodge in Windsor to the “considerably smaller property” of Frogmore Cottage.

Prince Andrew has resided at the Royal Lodge since 2003 and has spent considerate time and money renovating the 31-room estate with the Duchess of York, who remains close with her ex despite the fact that they divorced in 1996.

Prince Andrew & Sarah Ferguson
Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, and Prince Andrew, Duke of York, attend the Royal Ascot on June 19, 2015. getty

Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates.

After Prince Andrew rejected his offer, King Charles cut off his $1.3 million annual personal allowance and also stopped paying for his personal security. However, Andrew was determined to stay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *